Monday, December 27, 2010

A Perfect Setting for Snowy Evenings

My daughter took dance for many years.  As a matter of fact, she is minoring in dance at her university.  Unfortunately, there are no performance opportunities for dance minors there, so she continued to dance in her studio's recitals and Christmas ballets until they closed last spring.  The owner of the studio, Shannon Howell--a beautiful dancer and person herself--wished for more time with her children and grandchildren, and she sold her studio, ending a tradition her mother had started some 67 years ago.

My daughter (left) and her friend, Ashlyn--Shannon Howell's daughter
My daughter danced as the "Wicked Snow Queen" in the Christmas ballet, "The Night Before Christmas", an original ballet by Shannon Martin Howell of Martinique Studios.

When my daughter was younger, one of our neighbor's daughters began her dance lessons in the fall, probably at the ripe old age of 5 or 6.  At the recital in June, I asked her if she had fun, and her response was "it's a lot of work for just one show."  So it is at Christmas.  A lot of work for just one show.  But if you love it, you will continue, just as my daughter has all these years.  And I will continue our Christmas traditions as long as I am able. 

As you know, we have had snow, so I thought it appropriate to set a wintry wonderland table.


This vase of icy stems was too tall for the center, so I placed it at the end.

The silver reindeer with votive antlers sits in the middle of the table, surrounded by icy trees and sticks.


Plates sit on a snowflake platemats and silver chargers.  Dishes are Elegance by Fashion Royale.

Accent plates were purchased at Target this year.


Crystal napkin rings, and white napkins trimmed with silver adorn the plates.

Goblets are rimmed with silver, and wines are by Gorham.

Tall martini shaped glass candle holders with snowflake candles were purchased years ago from a mail order catalog.


What were your favorite tablescapes of 2010?  I know, it's hard to narrow it down, they are all so unique, creative, and lovely in their own way.  If you do have a favorite, send me a line.  I will try to narrow down my favorites, although I know it will be difficult.  Some I remember as being outstanding, but I can't remember which blog (old age setting in).  Maybe you can help me remember.  Thanks for visiting A Perfect Setting!!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Betsy, Your tablescape is beautiful..and yes Christmas is a lot of work! Most of my decorations came down today and I'll be sweeping glitter for months. Your daughter is very pretty and I can understand her love for dance. It's hard to believe now but I took ballet for 16 years. Don't laugh!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table! Your daughter is lovely...I'm sure you are so proud of her!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty your winter wonderland tablescape is. Oh such fond memories -- our daughter took dance (and taught) from the time she was 3 until she got married at 23. Loved those recital days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm weak on this subject, but right now this tablescape of yours is tops on my list. I really do love it, it's romantic, and elegant. I love things that sparkle and glisten- gold gives such a glamorous look to everything.
    Your daughter looks so beautiful on the stage, every girls dream at some point I do believe! It is a very slow process to learn and go through.

    by the way I did post the recipe for the Creme Brulee French Toast...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas is so much work but I do love it so! This table is GORGEOUS!!!!! Your daughter looks gorgeous dancing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Looked like I wanted to sit at the table and enjoy. You have alot to be proud of with your daughter

    ReplyDelete
  7. May your New Year be filled with many Blessings and abundances of Joy for 2011. From my mountain to yours, Until next year
    Hugs and Smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love dance, my niece took dance lessons from age 2 until she graduated from high school. She takes dance in college as an elective, she's studying to be an elementary school teacher. Another friend of mine's daughter is traveling with a troupe performing the Nutcracker! Your daughter's graceful dancing seems to have been transformed to your table - just stunning! Have a wonderful day!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magical! What a gorgeous table. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous table and beautiful daughter. We are lucky to have daughters we love and admire.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi lovely lady.
    Your Tablescapes are Gorgeous sweet lady ~~~~
    I'm your newest follower~~~
    I hope you have a Great New Year with your Family. Thanks so much for all your lovely comments on my Tablescape.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty table. Your daughter is lovely. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete