Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Little Bit Country

Living in the country is appealing when you imagine the beautiful land, the abundant crops of vegetables and flowers, the docile animals, and the simple, peaceful setting that only a rural life can bring.  But wait, I've never lived in the country.  My green thumb has always been blue, and I break out in hives at the thought of living without neighbors.  Even though I was raised in a small town, it's always been in a neighborhood, and within minutes of a grocery store.  That being said, I still like the idea of it, and I admire all the great people who live and work in the great outdoors.  The closest my family came to country was listening to country music.

My father loved country music, and because he was not in tune with my generation, I was totally turned off by his choices. Now, I find myself listening to the updated tunes of country rock, and singing along with great gusto.  My favorite country singer is Carrie Underwood, and I have been singing the catchy tune called "Cowboy Casanova" in the shower quite often in the past week.  The great thing about country songs is that they all have some great moral or story to tell, and this one is all about being careful about smooth talking guys in clubs.  As I've often told my daughter, watch what they do, don't listen to what they say!

Anyway, red bandana plates were the inspiration this week. 

I decided to use a rustic picnic table, (sorta country?) and topped a white tablecloth with a red bandana.

I came across these boot beer mugs in Goodwill and thought they went well with the country/western theme.

The red bandana plates and matching glasses were purchased at Tuesday Morning many years ago.  I knew I had saved them for some reason!




After I remove the bandana napkin and bowl, you can get a better view of the bandana plate.

I love these white plates by Ralph Lauren, which I found on sale at TJ Maxx this past week.

The red and white bowls are from the Martha Stewart collection at Macy's.  I used solid red plates, and then white platters for chargers, which I also found on sale this past week at TJ Maxx. 




For the centerpiece, I used a leather-look vase, purchased at Greenfront Furniture, a fun boot--which I found at Home Goods, and a Fitz and Floyd western scene, complete with wagon wheel, hat, boots, lantern, and rope (also purchased at TJ Maxx).

Napkin rings and flatware came from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
Last look~

For those who read last week's blog, just a quick update:  my son's team lost their first football game, but when all was said and done, he played hard and he played well.  My daughter's college football team beat VA Tech--which was a huge upset!  Go JMU!

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment, as I strive for a Perfect Setting!!

19 comments:

  1. I love your bandanna dishes - really cute! I used to have those boot mugs when my kids were little. I wonder if you bought mine? I had a major kitchen cabinet clean out in the 1990's that I totally regret today. Anyway . . . Adorable Table - Just the right touch of country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scrolled through the pictures slowly to catch all the country details. There were so many, and I love details! You did a great job on this whole table. Love that boot in the center the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute, i love red bandanas, just a country girl at heart~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute, this is just a happy table-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your country western table is so cute. can't believe all the bandana stuff you found! and btw, i heard all about that game...couldn't believe it!! my hometown team is playing VT this weekend, and hopefully, we'll do the same thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome theme! The bandanna plates and cups, along with the bandannas used as napkins are so cute. The cowboy boot mugs are adorable, too! My first thought was that this would be the perfect setting for chili and cornbread, but the thought also crossed my mind of using this idea for a birthday party for my son! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job - LOVE the chargers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful! I 'heart' this table! The outdoor setting is a perfect showcase for all of your beautiful dishes! Thanks for sharing.
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tablescape is so cute. And yes, the boots coffee mugs are perfect for the theme, everything is!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute red bandana table...the RL Boxwood plates are great, they are the ones we use every day. I love your charger plates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun table! Love those bandana plates and the boots, yeehaw! Makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the boot and bandana glasses! Very fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute table. Love the boots and bandanas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have 24 of those cowboy mugs...mostly I loan them to friends for Western themed rehearsal dinners...they put flowers in them most of the time. They were part of a themed dinner that we attended for a company function.They were meant to be party favors, but most of the men walked off and left theirs....so....I scored! They're fun to use. They go great with your darling tablescape! I kind of agree with you about country...I like the idea, but roughing it to me is room service that closes before 2:00 AM. THank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may not live in the country but you sure captured the feel. I really like the bandana theme and you have such great details to go with it. Such a fun table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This table is just adorable! I love the bandanna theme, and what a find those boot mugs were! My nephew's rehearsal dinner featured wildflowers in real cowboy boots on picnic tables -- great look!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute - I grew up in the country, and my brother is a REAL cowboy! LOL! I'm lovin the handkerchief plates!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the country theme. You do such a great job carrying out the theme. Keep these perfect settings coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely stunning! These settings are stunning as well as the napkins and napkin rings! Your descriptions on your table flow beautifully and fabulously!

    Universal Chair Covers

    ReplyDelete