Monday, October 6, 2014

A Lake View Setting for Fall

Fall days in Virginia can be the best time of the year to be outside.  Without the humidity we often experience in summer, and the mild temperatures, it is pleasant and enjoyable.  So we were off to spend an evening at our lake property right outside of Blackstone, Virginia, in Nottoway County.  
Just an hour from our home, we were excited to have some close friends join us for dinner and conversation. Photo courtesy of Bill Fischer
The road leading to the lake is cut right through a soybean field, which, I believe, is ready for harvesting.  Photo courtesy of Bill Fischer
We have had quite a bit of work done this summer, and now it is an enjoyable retreat with a beautiful view of the lake.  Before we had the patios built, I set up a table in the same spot.  See it here.
We often joke that we put the cart before the horse, because there is no house or cabin on this property, only a camper.  But to have a working bathroom and electricity is a beautiful thing.
Using the upper patio as our dining area, I set the table simply with a floral runner and a pumpkin centerpiece.
Using an artificial garland as a base, I added fresh greenery and nandina berries.  I curved the garland around the centerpiece and added taper candles.

Adding extra flowers, berries, and greenery to an artificial garland really makes it full and lush.
The napkins and runner have a white base, with the orange and green leaves which are so appropriate this time of the year. 
I felt like I had hit the jackpot when I found these dishes a few years ago at a TJ Maxx store in South Carolina.  I like the fact that they are white, but with the colors of fall.  
For my centerpiece, I started with a white pumpkin from Michaels and carved out a hole in the top for oasis. Then I added alstromeria, berries, and fresh greenery from my back yard.
I tried to use the oasis on the top of the pumpkin by attaching it to the stem per pinterest tutorial, but it didn't work so well for me.  It was easy to cut open the top and add the oasis.
With limited storage here, I have to plan ahead and cart all my accoutrements from home.

With all the trees, it always seems to be a breeze here.  After setting up, we had a little time to relax
and enjoy the view with a cocktail.
All ready for the guests to arrive!
I use these pumpkin plates quite frequently in the fall for salad, appetizers, or dessert!
This is the upper patio taken from the lakeside.  The steps that were added look like stone, but are actually a man-made product.  We chose these because they were level and still had a great look.
The landscapers we used also help us at home.  They were so excited to do this job, and it shows in the quality of work that was done.
After our guests arrived, we began to prepare dinner.  Nothing like steaks on a wood fire!  Photo courtesy of Bill Fischer
While the steaks were cooking in the firepit, we were also preparing grilled chicken, corn and asparagus on the green egg.  (sorry for the grainy picture, used my phone)
A view of the area from above.  Photo courtesy of Bill Fischer
Candles are lit!
Even though the lighting for pictures wasn't great, here are a few taken in the evening.  Enjoy!


Thanks for visiting, hope you enjoyed your visit.  For more on the evening and my friend Bill's Chinook experiences, visit his blog, http://chinookconcourse.tumblr.com/

7 comments:

  1. I have never been to Virginia in the fall, and I need to correct that. Just look at the beauty in the countryside! Even though the leaves have not yet turned, it's still a sight to behold! I love traveling in areas like this that are pastoral and open and free of all things "citified."

    Your patio area is fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!! How nice to have a lake house with those kinds of views! That is truly a place to relax and unwind and forget about all the troubles in this world. And Lord knows there are PLENTY of troubles to try and forget!!!

    You set a lovely table, and your centerpiece is a work of art with the gorgeous magnolia leaves. I'm glad you were able to circumnavigate the Pinterest instructions and still build a wonderful flower-filled pumpkin! Seems to me like the stem on a pumpkin would be much too fat to put wet oasis on it. Seems like the oasis would break apart. Oh, well...water under the bridge. You figured the best way to work it out!

    Wonderful! I hope you continue to enjoy these gorgeous fall days. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, this is just gorgeous! I'm so glad you commented on my page so I could follow you back here and find this wonderful post. Lovely setting and such a pretty tablescape!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous spot you have! I think you got your priorities right, a patio to enjoy while taking your time to build the house! I love that you have made tablescaping your passion, and create a beautiful table in the woods! I know you had a fabulous evening full of grilled goodies in that beautiful setting!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow…what a little piece of heaven you have there - the patios are gorgeous and the view is stunning! You guests must have been so impressed with your lovely table setting (my invitation must have got lost in the mail)…why even have a house when you can just sit there and enjoy the view?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow there is something even more beautiful about seeing this table setting outdoors! Your patio area is fabulous! It looks like you had a beautiful evening and perfect weather! I'm imagining the house you will build for this beautiful property! Love the night shots- what a great party you throw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest W,
    You went out of your way and surely considering there is no kitchen nearby!
    It makes for lovely gatherings in the quiet of the evening, far away from the hustle of life,
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete